Course Code & Number:
Level of Course:
Pre-requisites & Co-requisites:
Quiz - 8%
Written homeworks / Matlab assignments - 10%
Midterm Exam 1 - 22%
Midterm Exam 2 - 23%
Final - 30%
Written/Oral project - 7%
The goal of this course is to establish the mathematical background about the fundamental concepts, solution methodologies, and technical applications of linear algebra and differential equations.
Upon succesful completion of this course, a student will be able to
1. Manipulate matrix algebra and determinants.
2. Solve linear system of equations; apply row operations and Gaussian elimination.
3. Identify linear independence; compute the rank of a matrix.
4. Apply Cramer’s rule to solve the system of equations.
5. Calculate eigenvalues and their corresponding eigenvectors
6. Identify if a matrix is orthogonal; construct an orthogonal matrix.
7. Determine if a matrix is diagonalizable, and if it is, diagonalize it.
8. Define the terminology commonly used in differential equations.
9. Identify and solve separable, exact, linear first-order Ordinary Differential Equations (ODEs).
10. Solve homogeneous linear second-order ODEs with constant coefficients.
11. Use the method of undetermined coefficients to solve (B3) non-homogeneous linear second-order ODEs.
12. Utilize Laplace transform for solving ODEs.
13. Solve simple initial and boundary value problems.
14. Use Matlab to aid in solving linear algebra and differential equations.
15. Demonstrate (B3) written/oral communication skills by preparing reports and by giving an oral presentation to the class. 16. Display a professional commitment to group work through cooperative quizzes and project.