Course Code & Number:
Primary School Mathematics
(2+2+0) 3 TEDU Credits, 6 ECTS Credits
Structure of the National elementary school mathematics curriculum. NCTM and Common Core State Standards. Learning areas (content strands) and sublearning areas. Skills. Mathematical representations. Fundamental elementary mathematical concepts and their developments. Number concept. Natural numbers. Number systems. Arithmetical operations. Fractions. Percent. Ratio. Proportion. Geometry and development of geometrical thinking. Measurement. Data.
Pre-requisites & Co-requisites:
Final Exam - 30%
Paper 1 - 20%
Paper 2 - 20%
Oral presentation - 20%
Class Participation - 10%
1. Van de Walle, J.A. (1998). Elementary and Middle School Mathematics (Third ed.). Addison Wesley Longman Inc.
2. Hatfield, M.M., Edwards, N.T.&Bitter, G.G. (1997). Mathematics Methods for Elementary and Middle School Teachers (Third ed.). Allyn&Bacon.
Development of number systems. Number system and operations. Place value. Basic measurement (length and area). Early algebraic reasoning with number pattern. Properties of two and three-dimensional shapes. Congruence, similarity, geometric transformations, spatial relationships, visualizations. Van Hiele Levels of Geometric Thinking. Analyzing and making mathematical models for everyday situations. Tasks will be centered on problem solving and mathematical reasoning. Basic statistics and probability concepts.
Upon succesful completion of this course, a student will be able to
1. Identify various number systems and relationships among them.
2. Analyze number pattern.
3. Justify their reasoning using mathematical language.
4. Construct geometric shapes and identify their features.
5. Make mathematical models for everyday situations
6. Create own problem solving strategies, extend and apply them.
7. Understand basic statistics and probability concepts
Planned Learning Activities and Teaching Methods:
Case Study/Scenarion Analysis
Assessment Methods and Criteria:
Test / Exam