Course Code & Number:
Level of Course:
Pre-requisites & Co-requisites:
Final Exam - 20%
Art Portfolio - 30%
Cross Curricular Art Project - 30%
Oral Presentation (art project) - 20%
The roles of the student and teacher in an art class. The curriculum and the art lesson plan. Art in the elementary grades. Approches to teaching elementary art. Drawing, painting, printmaking, sculptures, ceramics, installation and plays, video art, photography, technology and computers in the art room, environmental art. Art supplies. Displaying student art. Evaluation of the students and the program. Designing learning environments and assessment in art education. Art across the curriculum. The links between art and other subjects. Creativity in art.
Upon succesful completion of this course, a student will be able to
1. Identify different approaches to teaching elementary art.
2. Design lesson plans covering elementary level art education applications including painting, drawing, sculpture, printmaking, ceramics, video art and photography.
3. Develop an assessment procedure for an art project in elementary art class.
4. Explain classroom management techniques and safety procedures specific to the elementary school art rooms.
5. Devise methods of teaching art to students with different learning abilities and learning styles.
6. Prepare a cross curricular art project and defend why it is useful.