Course Code & Number:
Level of Course:
Pre-requisites & Co-requisites:
Midterm 1 Exam - 10%
Midterm 2 Exam - 10%
Projects - 40%
Final Exam - 40%
The objective of this course is to provide understanding of large scale data storage and management techniques using relational database systems. The course provides information on how to design and normalize a database for storing, modifying and querying data in an efficient manner using web enable compatible tools such as PHP and MYSQL.
Database system concepts and architecture. Relational data model and SQL. Web database programming using PHP and MYSQL. Database normalization. Indexing.
Upon succesful completion of this course, a student will be able to
1. Analyze a large scale data provider for designing a corresponding database
2. Normalize a given database for time and space efficiency
3. Implement a database design using MYSQL
4. Create, modify and query a database using SQL
5. Implement web based database management systems using PHP and MYSQL
6. Analyze a database system for efficient indexing