Course Code & Number:
Level of Course:
Pre-requisites & Co-requisites:
Theories of child development and learning. Biological beginnings. Physical development. Cognitive development. Cognitive processes. Intelligence. Language development. Social development. Emotional development. Development of self and social understanding. Development of motivation and self-regulation. Development of morality and interpersonal behaviors.development in the academic domains. Family, culture, and community. Peers, school, and society. Implications of child development for early childhood education.
Upon succesful completion of this course, a student will be able to
1. identify young children’s universal characteristics across age groups
2. recognize children’s wide range of individual and developmental differences
3. associate the contextual factors that affect young children’s development and learning
4. discover how the theories of child development and learning have influenced early childhood program models and curricula
5. critique the theories of child development and learning
6. apply child development knowledge into early childhood teaching and learning.