Course Code & Number:
Level of Course:
Pre-requisites & Co-requisites:
Lab Applications - 40%
Project I - Blackberry - 30%
Project II - Android - 30%
The objective of this course is to provide the knowledge to use the languages and tools for developing mobile applications that can run on mobile devices, specifically Blackberry and Android based mobile phones. This knowledge includes the use of user interface and event management libraries, location libraries, networking libraries and data storage libraries based on the Java ME language.
Mobile development frameworks. Design considerations. Blackberry OS. Blackberry development tools. Java ME. Android OS. Android development tools. User interface and event management for Blackberry OS and Android OS. Networking. GPS. Accelerometer. Storage. SQLite.
Upon succesful completion of this course, a student will be able to
1. Develop user interfaces for Blackberry and Android based mobile devices
2. Develop location aware applications for Blackberry and Android based mobile devices
3. Develop applications with networking components for Blackberry and Android based mobile devices
4. Develop applications with internal and external data storage support for Blackberry and Android based mobile devices
5. Identify the design considerations when developing applications for mobile devices
6. Develop sensor based applications for Blackberry and Android based mobile devices