Course Code & Number:
Level of Course:
Pre-requisites & Co-requisites:
Mid-terms - 30%
Quizzes and Homeworks - 30%
Final - 40%
The objective of this course is to provide knowledge of the types of embedded systems, their hardware components and the programming languages used for developing software on them.
Basic components of a single-board computer. Microprocessors and micro controllers. Microprocessor based systems. Machine coding, assembly language programming and high-level languages. Computer architecture and assembly language. Hardware-software design. From gates to registers. Review of digital electronics. Memories, and input and output (I/O) ports. Basic I/O protocols. Interrupts.
Upon succesful completion of this course, a student will be able to
1. Identify the components of an embedded system
2. Understand the properties of different types of microprocessors used in embedded systems
3. Use assembly language to write programs for embedded systems
4. Understand the use of ports and memory on embedded systems
5. Understand the use of input/output protocols
6. Understand the use of interrupts on embedded systems