Course Code & Number:
Level of Course:
Pre-requisites & Co-requisites:
The goal of this course is to establish the fundamental background about microelectronic devices and semiconductor physics. The course will enable the students to interpret the physical structures of diodes, transistors and their operating principles. The course will also provide an insight in the small signal modeling and amplification features of semiconductor devices.
Upon succesful completion of this course, a student will be able to
1. Identify the energy band structures of different materials such as conductors, insulators, and semiconductors.
2. Interpret basic semiconductor concepts such as transport phenomena.
3. Identify p-n junction diodes and its physical structure
4. Formulate diode equation and relate the equation to the device physics
5. Identify bipolar junction transistor (BJT) and metal oxide semiconductor field effect transistors (MOSFET)
6. Interpret transistor biasing concepts and analyze basic transistor circuits to find transistor Q-points.
7. Identify small singal model parameters of transistors for AC analysis and relate them to DC parameters.
8. Interpret dynamic models for diodes and transistors.