Course Code & Number:
Level of Course:
Pre-requisites & Co-requisites:
Inquiry-based lesson plan - 25%
Collaborative interdisciplinary unit project - 25%
School Observation Reflection Journals - 20%
Formative assessment case study report - 15%
Roundtable discussion leadership - 15%
Defining social studies. Foundations of social studies. Building an interdisciplinary framework for social studies. Celebrating the diversity of human experience. Students as citizens and activists. Whole-school democracy. The importance of civic responsibility. The interrelations between individual, society and culture. Understanding school in the context of society and culture. Geography, economics, and civic concepts. Production and consumption systems. Government systems and structures. Dynamics of the global world. Mutual interaction of science, technology and social processes.
Upon succesful completion of this course, a student will be able to
1. Define the purposes and themes of social studies education at the elementary level.
2. Design an integrated and inquiry-based social studies lesson plan.
3. Work collaboratively in groups to propose interdisciplinary units with social studies themes at the core.
4. Identify, access, and evaluate social studies instructional resources, and relate ways these materials may be used to assist in preparing for and delivering instruction
5. Integrate technology in the development and delivery of social studies units and lessons.