Course Code & Number:
Level of Course:
Pre-requisites & Co-requisites:
Theories of language learning during early childhood. Approaches and techniques in teaching Turkish to young children. Foundations of emergent literacy in early childhood education. Meeting the needs of children with special concerns. Phonology, semantics, grammar, syntax, morphology and, pragmatics development. Organizing and managing the emergent literacy program. Literacy and diversity. Assessment in early literacy.
Upon succesful completion of this course, a student will be able to
1. compare theories of language and early literacy development.
2. outline developmental milestones of language and early literacy development of children
3. utilize appropriate instructional strategies for fostering language development and promoting literacy in early childhood education
4. design developmentally appropriate language and literacy environments for young children
5. use appropriate assessment tools and techniques to evaluate young children’s language development and literacy skills.