Course Code & Number:
Level of Course:
Pre-requisites & Co-requisites:
Types of early childhood assessment. Sources, methods, contexts of assessment. Systematic observation. Documenting children’s development and learning. Portfolios and documentation panels. Standardized tests. Interpreting assessment information. Assessment partnership. Uses of assessment. Implementation of assessment activities: language and literacy, math and science, social sciences, visual and performing arts
Upon succesful completion of this course, a student will be able to
1. explain the central goals, benefits, and uses of early childhood assessment
2. employ multiple techniques and tools for observing, recording, and analyzing young children’s development and learning
3. use multiple and appropriate types of early childhood assessment to identify each child’s learning needs and to develop differentiated learning experiences.
4. plan instruction based on information gained from assessment
5. form partnership with parents, families, and other professionals in assessing young children’s development and learning
6. practice responsible assessment, which is ethically grounded and guided by sound professional standards.