Course Code & Number:
Level of Course:
Pre-requisites & Co-requisites:
Assignments - 15%
Mid-Term Assignment - 15%
Mid-term Exam - 25%
Final Assignment - 35%
Attendance and Class Contribution - 10%
The course aims to provide basic knowledge of structures and comprehension of the fundamental principles of structural behaviors. The course emphasizes the relationship between structure and architecture and relates the basic principles of structural behavior with architecture. Students will investigate the behavior of structural systems, and analyze simple structural systems through design exercises and case studies.
Upon succesful completion of this course, a student will be able to
1. develop a basic understanding of structures and comprehend fundamental principles of structural behaviors
2. appreciate the relationship between structure and architecture
3. study different structural behaviors of architectural elements, like beams, columns, slabs, plates, trusses, arches, shells, cable and pneumatic structures etc.
4. recognize contemporary building materials and structural systems
5. analyze simple structural systems, distinguish forces acting on the structures and comment on how structures behave