Course Code & Number:
Level of Course:
Pre-requisites & Co-requisites:
The main objective of this course is to analyze various political currents and related movements in the last two centuries. The course provides a broad overview of ideologies with a view to each current’s historical advent as well as its particular influence to our present-day political world.
Study of political currents and related movements 18th century onwards. Nationalism, fascism, conservatism, liberalism, Marxism, social democracy, anarchism, feminism, green ideologies, ecologism, religious fundamentalism. Interrelationship between ideologies as well as among ideologies and political events and actions.
Upon succesful completion of this course, a student will be able to
1. Identify the structure, arguments and basic characteristics of political ideologies.
2. Identify the historical dynamics and political contexts underlying the emergence of ideologies.
3. Recall the relation between political ideas and political movements.
4. Articulate critical stances in relation to different ideological positions.
5. Construct well-structured and logically coherent political arguments.
6. Evaluate political arguments and ideas.
7. Communicate effectively in writing and speech.