Course Code & Number:
Level of Course:
Pre-requisites & Co-requisites:
The main objective of this course is to introduce the students with the basic concepts and principles of law. The course provides a broad overview of the organization of the Turkish judicial system; the application of norms and the methods of interpretation.
Basic concepts and principles of law. Law and social order. Sources of law and hierarchy of the sources. Characteristics of common law and the continental legal systems. Main branches of public and private law. Turkish judicial system. The application of norms and methods of interpretation.
Upon succesful completion of this course, a student will be able to
1. Demonstrate an in-depth knowledge of basic concepts and principles of law.
2. Critically analyze the relationship of law with the “social” and “political”.
3. Understand the structure of Turkish legal and judicial system.
4. Relate conceptual and theoretical knowledge to practice.
5. Develop key skills of legal reasoning and argument.
6. Communicate effectively in writing and speech.