Course Code & Number:
Level of Course:
Pre-requisites & Co-requisites:
The main objective of this course is to build a foundation of knowledge on the Turkish constitutional system. The course provide the students an in-depth analysis of 1921, 1924, 1961 and 1982 constitutions from a comparative perspective.
Constitutional developments in the Ottoman Empire and Turkish Republic. Ottoman constitutional movement during the 19th century. Comparative study of 1921, 1924, 1961 and 1982 Constitutions.
Upon succesful completion of this course, a student will be able to
1. Demonstrate in-depth knowledge on the constitutional developments during the late Ottoman period.
2. Demonstrate in depth knowledge on 1921, 1924, 1961 and 1982 Constitutions.
3. Compare and contrast Constitutions enacted in different periods in the Ottoman-Turkish context.
4. Discover the importance of civil initiatives in the constitution making process.
5. Develop key skills of legal reasoning and argument.
6. Communicate effectively in writing and speech.