Course Code & Number:
Level of Course:
Pre-requisites & Co-requisites:
The main objective of this course is to explore the social and political dynamics leading to the formation of modern Turkey. The course is designed to provide the students an in-depth understanding of the key features of Ottoman- Turkish modernization and a base for assesing the contemporary Turkish politics.
Social and political dynamics leading to the formation of modern Turkey. Reform movements in the Ottoman Empire.Establisment of the Republic.Continuities and breaks with the past: dilemmas of modernization. Social, political and institutional developments. Social and Political structure. Political opposition.Transition to democracy.
Upon succesful completion of this course, a student will be able to
1. Demonstrate an understanding of Ottoman-Turkish modernization process and identify its dilemmas
2. Explain and critically assess the social, political and institutional developments during the early Republican era.
3. Demonstrate an understanding of political structure during the early Republican era.
4. Find and use primary sources on Turkish politics.
5. Formulate well-structured and coherent arguments.
6. Demonstrate skills for oral and written communication.