Course Code & Number:
Level of Course:
Pre-requisites & Co-requisites:
This course is designed to provide the students with a general scheme of Turkish Politics from the transition to multi-party regime to contemporary times.
Turkish politics and political structure from transition to multi-party regime onwards. Historical and thematic analysis. Democratization, political parties and participation. Social and political movements. Political opposition. Role of military in political processes. Ideologies. Identity politics with an emphasis on religion, ethnicity and gender.
Upon succesful completion of this course, a student will be able to
1. Demonstrate an understanding of Turkish politics and political structure from transition to multi-party politics onwards.
2. Explain and critically assess key issues and related political and academic debates in Turkish politics.
3. Recognize the significance of active citizenship for the establishment and consolidation of democratic politics.
4. Find and use primary sources on Turkish politics.
5. Formulate well-structured and coherent arguments.
6. Demonstrate skills for oral and written communication.