Course Code & Number:
Level of Course:
Pre-requisites & Co-requisites:
The main objective of this course is to familiarize the students with the scope of the discipline of political science. The course provides a broad overview of key concepts, themes and debates in political science.
Political science as means of understanding the political. Politics and knowledge. Political beliefs and belief systems. Political culture. Political ideologies: conservatism, classical liberalism and socialism. Political actions. Individual and group political actions. Political party systems. Political socialization. State and nation. Political system. Political institutions: the legislature, executives and the judiciary. Change and political development. Politics among states.
Upon succesful completion of this course, a student will be able to
1. Describe key concepts, themes and debates in political science.
2. Understand the scope of the discipline of political science and its sub-divisions.
3. Recognize the significance of active citizenship for the establishment and consolidation of democratic politics.
4. Identify ethical implications of politics.
5. Communicate effectively in writing and speech.