Course Code & Number:
Level of Course:
Pre-requisites & Co-requisites:
The main objective of this course is to provide the students with in-depth knowledge on the development and current state of women’s movements in different countries. The course seeks to explore the historical, social and political dynamics of the women’s movement through an analysis of Middle Eastern, North American, European and Latin American experiences.
Development and current state of women’s movements in different countries.The historical unfolding of the women’s movements. The socio-political dynamics that interacted with the rise and evolution of rights-based claims ingrained within the women’s movements. The mainstreaming and/or backlash that the demands raised by the women’s movements. Middle Eastern, North American, European, and Latin American cases.
Upon succesful completion of this course, a student will be able to
1. Describe basic concepts in feminist theory and politics (sex, gender, identity, reproductive rights, social division of labor, equal pay…etc.).
2. Explain the historical evolution and current state of women’s movement with reference to Middle Eastern, North American, European and Latin American.
3. Compare and contrast different country experiences in relation to the development and current state of women’s movement.
4. Understand the contribution of feminist theory to women’s struggle.
5. Recognize the significance of feminist campaigning for the struggle of gender equality.
6. Recognize and respect different identities and lifestyles.
7. Communicate effectively in writing and speech.