Course Code & Number:
Level of Course:
Pre-requisites & Co-requisites:
The objective of the course to make the students familiar about social, economic and political structure of the Ottoman state and society in the classical period of the Empire.
Ottoman Empire as a world hegemon. The political and socio-economic structure of the Ottoman Empire in the classical period. Foundations of the Ottoman state and society. The Specific Relations between State and Society. Classical Ottoman Means of Construction Political Legitimacy. Classical Ottoman Understanding of Sovereignty. Administrative structure. Military structure. Religious and ethnic composition. Economic structure and resource management. Foreign Affairs.
Upon succesful completion of this course, a student will be able to
1. Recognize the significance of the social, political and economic structure of the Ottoman Empire in the classical period for assessing today’s domestic and international politics.
2. Discern the different patterns of political thinking and the different ways of perceiving and practicing political power.
3. Establish the links between the socio-political structuration in the classical period of the Ottoman Empire and the modern Turkey.
4. Develop particular reasoning by making historical comparisons.
5. Develop complex argumentation skills in speech and writing.