Course Code & Number:
Level of Course:
Pre-requisites & Co-requisites:
The aim of this course is to analyze different meanings attributed to “security” in the pre-Cold War, Cold War and post-Cold War periods.
Conceptual Apparatus. The Military Sector. The Environmental Sector. The Economic Sector. The Societal Sector.The Political Sector. How Sectors Are Synthesized.Stable Peace.Global Governance.Development.Human Security.
Upon succesful completion of this course, a student will be able to
1. Compare security studies before, during and after the end of the Cold War
2. Describe and evaluate various theories regarding concepts of international order and security
3. Analyze and assess the changing meaning and understanding of “security”
4. Recite the security dilemma
5. Explain the transformation from classic, state-centered security thinking to critical security studies leading to common security, stable peace, positive peace
6. Discuss and evaluate human security, the people-centered approach to security