Course Code & Number:
Level of Course:
Pre-requisites & Co-requisites:
The main objective of this course is to survey Russian politics from the beginning of 20th century to contemporary times. The course aims to provide the students basic knowledge on the key events in 20th century Russian history.
Introduction to 20th century Russian politics. Key political issues and conflicts in the late imperial Russia, the Soviet Russia and the post-Soviet Russia. The Bolshevik Revolution; economic and social policies during the Stalinist era; Perestroika and Glasnost and political and economic development in today’s Russia.
Upon succesful completion of this course, a student will be able to
1. Outline key political events and issues in 20th century Russian politics.
2. Explain social, historical and economic factors shaping the evolution of Russian politics in 20th century.
3. Compare and contrast the policy preferences of different leaders in Soviet and post-Soviet era.
4. Assess the main intellectual debates concerning Soviet and post-Soviet Russia.
5. Identify the relation between political ideas and movements related to the Russian case.