Course Code & Number:
Level of Course:
Pre-requisites & Co-requisites:
The major objective of this course is to explore contemporary Latin American politics and political structure. The course aims to provide students conceptual and theoretical knowledge for better comphrending the political dynamics and trends in country case studies in the Latin American context.
The contemporary political issues and conflicts in Latin America. The geostrategic role of the region in the global context. Comparative analysis of economic and political structures of the countries in the region in their particular historical contexts. Perspectives on autoritarianism and populism. International factors that have impact on Latin American politics. Latin American political economy. Regional organizations and civil initiatives. Latin America in contemporary world politics.
Upon succesful completion of this course, a student will be able to
1. Demonstrate an understanding of political processes and key political issues in the Latin American context.
2. Explain the domestic and international factors that have an impact on the structuration of politics in Latin America.
3. Assess the geo-strategic position of Latin America in the global politics.
4. Understand the economic and political reform process and their inter-relationship in Latin America.
5. Formulate well-structured arguments and assess debates concerning Latin American politics.
6. Communicate effectively in speech and writing.