Course Code & Number:
Level of Course:
Pre-requisites & Co-requisites:
The major aim of this course is to explore the historical, political, economic, and socio-cultural dimensions of Turkey’s integration process with the European Union (EU).
Westernization during the Ottoman Empire. Association Agreement between Turkey and the European Economic Community. Additional Protocol between Turkey and the European Economic Community. Turkey’s application for membership and the European Community’s Avis. Customs Union between Turkey and the European Union. Turkey’s candidacy. Accession Partnership Document and National Program. Accession Negotiations. Political criteria: The Cyprus issue and Greece. Political criteria: Democracy and human rights. Social factors: Islam and laicism. Social factors: Culture and nationalism. Latest developments and the future of integration.
Upon succesful completion of this course, a student will be able to
1. Explain the historical, political, economic and socio-cultural aspects of Turkey’s integration process
2. Depict important agreements such as the Ankara Agreement (Association Agreement), the Additional Protocol and the Agreement concerning the Customs Union, the Accession Partnership Document or the National Program
3. Investigate the European Commission’s annual Progress Reports about Turkey
4. Discuss important EU summits
5. Analyze the ongoing accession negotiation process
6. Elaborate on the future prospects, chances and limits of Turkey’s EU integration