Course Code & Number:
Level of Course:
Pre-requisites & Co-requisites:
The aim of this course is to familiarize the students with the main theories about peace and conflict and to develop participants’ ability to see how different theories and explanatory factors at different levels can be combined in an analysis of conflict and peace.
Introduction. Peace studies. Theoretical background of peace. Democratic peace. Peace education. Non-violence and pacifism. Peace language –Language of peace. Types of conflict –Tangible conflicts. Types of conflict – Intangible conflicts. Difficulties of conflict resolution. Mediation. Intervention.
Upon succesful completion of this course, a student will be able to
1. Describe the meaning of peace
2. Illustrate the meaning of conflict
3. Compare theories dealing with peace and conflict resolution
4. Explain tangible conflicts
5. Recite intangible conflicts
6. Demonstrate the importance of language and education for peace