Course Code & Number:
Level of Course:
Pre-requisites & Co-requisites:
The main objective of this course is to familiarize the students with the variables of ethnic and nationalist conflicts at the global level. The course aims to enable the students to apply the theoretical models to various nationalist and ethnic movements.
Ethnic and nationalist conflicts at the global level. Application of the theoretical models to various nationalist and ethnic movements: the Northern Ireland, Yugoslavia and Israel- Palestine cases. The relation between nation and nationalism. Ethnic and national identity. The historical development of nationalism as an ideology and movement. The functions of nationalism in the modernization process. Prospects on the crisis of nation state.
Upon succesful completion of this course, a student will be able to
1. Describe and critically assess the concepts (nation, nationalism, nation state, ethnic and national identity, ethnic conflict, cultural pluralism…etc.) and theories of nationalism and ethnic conflict.
2. Demonstrate knowledge on the historical evolution of nationalist movements.
3. Apply the theoretical models to various nationalist and ethnic movements.
4. Demonstrate awareness of contemporary debates and key issues on nationalism and ethnicity.
5. Assess the effects of nationalism and ethnicity in local, domestic and international politics.
6. Communicate effectively in writing and speech.
7. Develop skills of argument and critical analysis.