Course Code & Number:
Level of Course:
Pre-requisites & Co-requisites:
The main objective of this course is to provide an in-depth analysis of political thought in Republican Turkey. The course seeks to present an overview of the main currents of thought (Kemalism, nationalism, conservatism, liberalism, socialism, Islamism and feminism) with an emphasis on their historical evolution, arguments and political projects.
Political thought in Republican Turkey. Origins, nature, arguments and political projects of Kemalism, nationalism, conservatism, liberalism, socialism, Islamism and feminism. Social and political context of their historical evolution. Interrelationship between ideas and political action in Republican Turkey. Major themes of debate: state/society/individual relations, modernization, gender, development.
Upon succesful completion of this course, a student will be able to
1. Demonstrate understanding of the main arguments and political project of each current of thought.
2. Critically compare the arguments of each intellectual tradition regarding particularly state/society/individual relations, modernization, gender and development.
3. Explain the historical, social and political contexts in which each tradition of thought have arisen.
4. Discover the relation between political ideas and political movements in Republican Turkey.
5. Construct well-structured and logically coherent political arguments.
6. Evaluate political arguments and ideas.
7. Communicate effectively in writing and speech.