Course Code & Number:
Level of Course:
Pre-requisites & Co-requisites:
The main objective of this course is to analyze the patterns of Russian foreign policy in the post-Cold War era. The course aims to provide the students with a firm understanding of the evolution of Russian foreign policy, the dynamics of the policy making process and the factors shaping its evolution.
Study of the patterns of Russian foreign policy in the post-Cold War era. Evolution of Russian foreign policy. The dynamics of the policy making process. Domestic and International factors shaping the evolution of Russian foreign policy. The geostrategic position of Russia in the international arena. Relations with the West, the ex-Soviet states and NATO.
Upon succesful completion of this course, a student will be able to
1. Understand the patterns and evolution of Russian foreign policy during the post-Cold War era.
2. Recognize the political, social and economic factors that shape Russian foreign policy.
3. Assess the geo-political position of Russia in the international arena.
4. Identify the dynamics of the foreign policy making process in contemporary Russia.
5. Compare and contrast the foreign policy preferences of governments in contemporary Russia.
6. Assess Russians relations with the West, ex-Soviet states, and NATO.