Course Code & Number:
Level of Course:
Pre-requisites & Co-requisites:
The major objective of this course is to explore the inter-relationships between art and politics in 20th century. The course aims to provide the students an in-depth knowledge on various ways and means that art and politics overlap, intersect and/or challenge each other.
Inter-relationships between art and politics in 20th century. The interface of art and politics. The role of art in the creation process of political messages and propaganda. The role of art in mass mobilization. Art as a means of constructing social and political memory. Public space, politics and art. State policies regarding art and art works in selected countries.
Upon succesful completion of this course, a student will be able to
1. Understand the relationship between art and politics.
2. Compare and contrast state policies regarding art and culture in diverse political settings
3. Think creatively and critically.
4. Appreciate diverse cultural and political perspectives as well as life styles.
5. Communicate effectively in speech and writing.