Course Code & Number:
Level of Course:
Pre-requisites & Co-requisites:
The goal of this course is to teach mathematical and other analytical techniques for hierarchical planning of the operations of a production system. Major topics corresponding to the activities performed in different phases of the planning process are demand forecasting, aggregate planning, lot sizing, inventory control, materials requirements planning and scheduling.
Integrated production planning. Master production schedule. Materials requirements planning. Capacity planning. Lot sizing. Inventory management. Make or buy decisions.
Upon succesful completion of this course, a student will be able to
1. Employ the hierarchical production planning approach (a)
2. Utilize past data to accurately predict future demands by using fundamental forecasting methods. (b)
3. Formulate aggregate planning problems as mathematical programs. (e)
4. Apply basic lot sizing methods to determine order/production frequency and quantities. (e)
5. Perform materials requirement planning on small problems. (e)
6. Use the appropriate dispatching and scheduling rules in basic single machine, parallel machine and flowshop problems arising in operational scheduling. (e)