Course Code & Number:
Level of Course:
Pre-requisites & Co-requisites:
This course aims to teach modeling and solution of distribution logistics problems. The course covers mathematical models in designing logistics networks, planning long haul freight transportation, traveling salesperson problem, and vehicle routing problem. In this course, several case studies that link theory to practice are also discussed.
Introduction to logistics. Logistics network design. Location problems. Warehouse design and management. Long distance freight transportation problems. Traveling salesperson problem. Vehicle routing problem.
Upon succesful completion of this course, a student will be able to
1. Design a logistics network specifying the location of main entities with notions of optimality (B5, c)
2. Generate mathematical models to optimize the cost of flows on a distribution network (B5, c)
3. Develop optimal shipment consolidation and dispatching plans (B5, c)
4. Solve traveling salesperson and vehicle routing problems with realistic constraints (B5, c)
5. Interpret and criticize distribution network practices adopted for complex contemporary problems of manufacturing and service systems(B6, h)
6. Recognize the need of and engage in life-long learning (i)