Course Code & Number:
Level of Course:
Pre-requisites & Co-requisites:
The goals of this course are to teach the dynamics and effective design of manufacturing and service systems. The course aims to teach the concept of bottlenecks, capacity analysis of production systems, comparison of push and pull systems, and the impact of variability on the performance of production systems. The course also aims to expose students to the complexities of real life applications and teach them how to tackle them with creative and critical thinking. The students are also engaged in self-learning in an advanced topic of the design of production systems.
Products, processes and performance. Process flow metrics. Flow time analysis. Flow speed and analysis. Flow variability management. Lean operations. Process synchronization and improvement.
Upon succesful completion of this course, a student will be able to
1. Identify bottleneck in production systems (B4, c)
2. Measure the capacity of a production system (B6, c)
3. Evaluate the impact of variability and utilization on the performance (B6, c)
4. Compare and contrast push and pull systems (B6, c)
5. Design an effective production system based on the desired needs (B6, c)
6. Interpret and criticize complex contemporary production systems (B6, h)
7. Recognize the need of and engage in life-long learning (i)