Course Code & Number:
Level of Course:
Pre-requisites & Co-requisites:
Homework and presentation - 60%
Midterm - 20%
Final - 20%
This course helps students identify business processes and their components and characteristics, assess and improve process efficiency, learn to model and analyze business processes, understand the interactions between human behavior and process design.
Business processes modeling concept. Modelling grammar and tools. Petri net and process flow charts. Business processes management notation and different perspectives.
Upon succesful completion of this course, a student will be able to
1. Conceptualize business operations as processes.
2. Model simple business processes in terms of the actors and activity sequences involved, the data flowing through those sequences and the dependencies between data and business activities.
3. Understand and use petri nets and BPMN for process modeling
4. Recognize the interdependencies of business processes within and across organizational boundaries.
5. Characterize business processes in terms of their key operations characteristics; e.g., productivity, efficiency, quality, time and costs associated with waiting, material volume and service/product customization, etc.