Course Code & Number:
Level of Course:
Pre-requisites & Co-requisites:
...compulsory for engineering, optional for others...
This class aims to discuss the philosophical and scientific roots of psychology as a modern scientific discipline. In this respect, main psychological schools of thought will be discussed along with the social and scientific atmospheres that were permissive in their emergence. Namely, psychophysics, structuralism, functionalism, behaviorism, Gestalt psychology, psychoanalysis, cognitive psychology, and biological psychology will receive an overall coverage.
if relevant for the course
At the end of this class students will be able to;
1. Summarize the philosophical framework underlying the history of psychology.
2. Describe and discuss the interplay between psychology and other sciences.
3. Analyze the pivotal roles played by scientists from minority groups in psychology
4. Determine the similarities and differences between the historical development of psychology and other scientific disciplines.
5. Provide educated deductions pertaining to the future of psychology